Schools Out! Motorist Safety Tips
Hatboro-Horsham School district last day of school will be June 16, 2016
Hatboro-Horsham School district last day of school will be June 16, 2016. As the end of the school year approaches, Horsham Township is reminding drivers and parents about the importance of keeping kids safe throughout the summer months.
Kids will be excited and may not be thinking about their personal safety so drivers need to be extra cautious in looking for child pedestrians during the summer months. Here are tips for keeping our children safe this summer.
Tips for Drivers
- The last week of school is an exciting time for children and they may become preoccupied and forget the rules of the road. Use extra caution when driving through school zones.
- During those last few days of school, be aware that kids may be arriving or leaving school at different times throughout the day.
- Remember that playground speed limits remain in effect year round. Observe carefully when driving around playgrounds and parks. Small children are less predictable and harder to see than adults.
- Watch for clues, a hockey net or ball in the road or on the sidewalk can mean kids are playing nearby. Pay attention and always anticipate the unexpected.
- Always watch for small children as you’re backing up. Walk around your vehicle to make sure no kids or pets are behind it.
- When backing out of a driveway or leaving a garage, watch for children walking, biking skating or skateboarding
- Keep an eye out for children walking or bicycling in the street, especially where there are no sidewalks.
Tips for Parents
- Focus on the basics. Teach your children to make eye contact with the driver before they cross, even if the walk signal is on.
- Remind your children to walk, don’t run, across the road
- To stop, look and listen before crossing the street.
- Don’t jaywalk. Teach your children to cross at intersections that have a marked crosswalk or a pedestrian crossing light.
- When walking with your child, avoid unnecessary shortcuts like walking through a parking lot. Drivers may not see children between parked cars and the children may not see the cars moving.