Positive West Nile Sample from Maple Park & Prevention Tips
Posted on Thursday July 12, 2018
We were informed today by the MCHD that they had a positive west nile virus sample from Maple Park in the Meetinghouse Village neighborhood. For more information or if you have any questions please call the MCHD at 215-784-5415.
For Tips on protecting yourself from mosquito's please see below.
Don’t let mosquitoes ruin your summer fun. Protect yourself and your family from mosquito bites. How do I protect myself from mosquito bites?
Use insect repellent: When used as directed, insect repellent is the BEST way to protect yourself from mosquito bites. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)-registered insect repellents are safe for even children and pregnant women. All the EPA-registered insect repellents are evaluated for safety and effectiveness.
- DEET: Products containing DEET include Cutter, OFF!, Skintastic.
- Picaridin (also known as KBR 3023, Bayrepel, and icaridin): Products containing picaridin include Cutter Advanced, Skin So Soft Bug Guard Plus, and Autan outside the United States).
- Oil of lemon eucalyptus (OLE) or PMD: Products containing OLE include Repel .
- IR3535: Products containing IR3535 include Skin So Soft Bug Guard Plus Expedition and SkinSmart.
Treat clothing and gear: Treat items such as boots, pants, socks, and tents with permethrin or purchase permethrin-treated clothing and gear.
- Treated clothing remains protective after multiple washings. See product information to find out how long the protection will last.
- If treating items yourself, follow the product instructions carefully.
- Do not use permethrin products directly on skin.
Mosquito-proof your home:
Take steps to avoid having mosquitoes enter your home.
- Use screens on windows and doors. Repair holes in screens to keep mosquitoes outside.
- Use air conditioning when available.
- Keep mosquitoes from laying eggs in and near standing water around your home.
- Once a week, empty, turn over, cover, or throw out items that hold water, such as tires, buckets, planters, toys, pools, birdbaths, flowerpots, or trash containers both inside and outside your home.
- Keep grass cut short & bushes trimmed.
- Clean clogged roof gutters