- Horsham Township’s Fire Prevention Code prohibits the open burning of any vegetation, yard waste, municipal waste, recyclable materials, garbage, and construction waste.
- Violations of opening burning are subject to the issuance of citations and fines.
- For additional information please refer to Chapter 109, Section 307.1.2 of the Horsham Township Fire Prevention Code or contact the Fire Marshal’s Office (hyperlink to my email)
- Horsham Township’s Fire Prevention Code allows for the use of portable outdoor fireplaces, chimeneas and factory-built metal novelty stoves.
- Outdoor fireplaces shall be used in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions and shall be a minimum of 15 feet from any combustible structure or material.
- Only clean, dry seasoned wood or similar materials should be used. Many of the complaints received are a result of excessive smoke being generated due to wet or non-seasoned wood.
- A minimum of one portable fire extinguisher with a minimum 4-A rating or other approved on-site fire extinguishing equipment, such as dirt, sand, water barrel, or garden hose shall be available for immediate utilization.
- Fires shall be constantly attended until the fire is extinguished.
- Where a fire creates or adds to a hazardous situation, the fire official is authorized to order the extinguishing of the burning operation.
The use of flammable liquids to start and/or maintain a fire is prohibited!
The Township issues permits to authorize neighborhood block parties. The Township requires that nothing be placed in the street which would prohibit emergency vehicles from having access.
House Bill 542 was signed into law on October 30, 2017. House Bill 542 of 2017 changed the Pennsylvania Fireworks Law for consumer fireworks by allowing a person of at least 18 years of age to purchase, possess and use ANY consumer Fireworks in the state of PA.
1) Any combustible or explosive composition or any substance or combination of substances which is intended to produce visible or audible effects by combustion, is suitable for use by the public, complies with the construction, performance, composition and labeling requirements promulgated by the Consumer Products Safety Commission in 16 CFR (relating to commercial practices) or any successor regulation and complies with provisions for “consumer fireworks” as defined in APA 87-1 or any successor standard, the dale, possession and use of which shall be permitted throughout this Commonwealth.
2) The term does not included devices such as “ground and hand-held sparkling devices,” “novelties” or “toy caps” which are permitted for sale and use in Horsham Township.